...in which I share some of my favorite medieval research resources and methods for the benefit of others interested in also writing about the Middle Ages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hug a Medievalist Day 2012

Last year, I completely missed Hug a Medievalist Day (this font is called trebuchet, which was a medieval siege engine similar to a catapult, so it seems appropriate to use it here) although we did hold a belated giveaway. This year I'm on top of this extraordinarily important date! We're celebrating here at Medieval Research with Joyce by giving away one of my all time favorite medieval novels, Walk with Peril, by D.V.S. Jackson. If you haven't read my review of this book, you can read it here.

Walk with Peril has long been out of print, but I've snagged an old used copy and I'm giving it away for Hug a Medievalist Day! This giveaway is going to work pretty much the same way last year's did: to enter, leave a comment telling me name of the medievalist you would most like to hug on Hug a Medievalist Day. It can be an actual figure from medieval history, a fictional character (like Robin Hood), a character from a medieval novel, a favorite teacher who taught you about the Middle Ages, a favorite character at your local *Renaissance Festival, or even your favorite *RenFest day companion (husband, sister, brother, child, friend). I'll give you an extra entry if you begin your comment with the word "Huzzah!"

(*I'm including Renaissance Festivals because that's the closest excuse some of us can find to play medieval dress up!)

Be sure to include your email address so I can contact you if you win!

The deadline is midnight PST on Hug a Medievalist Day, i.e., March 31. The winner will be drawn by Random.org.

USA entries only.

HUZZAH!

(Join Hug a Medievalist Day on Facebook and/or follow on Twitter)


OFFICIAL RULES:

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
USA entries only
Entrants must be 18 years or older
Entries may be left in a comment or sent via email to jdipastena@yahoo.com
Winners will be selected on March 31. Winners have 48 hours to respond to an email notifying them of their win.
Prizes not claimed within 48 hours will be reawarded
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW


18 comments:

Lisa Madden Bass said...

I would love to hug my g-g-g-etc. grandfather, Lord William Marshal, said to be the "greatest knight." Actor William Hurt played him in the Russell Crow version of "Robin Hood."

Meljprincess said...

HUZZAH!
I'd like to hug Vlad Dracula. And I would hope he wouldn't put my head on a spike!
Have a great day, Joyce.

Mel K.
Meljprincess AT aol DOT com

kmt1976 said...

HUZZAH!
I think John the Builder would be a good one to hug. He needs one after all the building he did!
Karin
kce1976 at hotmail dot com

Orsolya Dunai said...

Oh dear... how can I choose just one person?!

I suppose Eleanor of Aquitaine or Queen Isabella (Edward's wife).

I simply would like to hug the Medieval History book shelf at my local library! I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that shelf! ;)

HUZZAH!

Orsolya Dunai
innermystique18@aol.com

kmt1976 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taffy said...

I have no idea who I'd hug. A handsome knight? Who baths at least once a week.
I'm related to Lady Godiva. Is she medieval? I'd hug her if she had clothes on.


taffy(dot)lovell@gmail.com

Elizabeth Boyde said...

I would like to hug Christine de Pizan, a medieval Venetian (1363 - c1430) who actually made a living from her writing.

HUZZAH!

officeinmate at gmail dot com

Donna K. Weaver said...

Hug a medievalist Day? Too fun.

I might hug someone as long as he wasn't a male chauvinist pig. ;)

Anonymous said...

Huzzah! I'd like to hug...Joyce DiPastena!

Lisa
(You know who)

Kari Pike said...

Huzzah!
Lisa beat me giving Joyce a hug...so I think I will have to go with William Tyndale.

Unknown said...

HUZZAH! So many hugs I would like to give. My favorite princess -Princess Kristina of Norway 1234-1262. My favorite rennie would be Zilch the Torey Steller, because who doesn't like to hear Jomeo & Ruliet. And of course I'd hug you Joyce, my favorite medieval author.

Steph said...

Apparently, I'm related to someone affectionately (or not quite so) known as "Longshanks" - so I guess I'd maybe think about hugging him. In all that geneology stuff my dad made me do, we discovered loads of knights, dukes, earls, kings, queens and many others of some importance in our family tree. Hope the thing doesn't fall over what with all that metal in the branches! JK!

Diane Pollock said...

I would love to hug Romeo and/or Juliet...they need it! :)

Sharon M. said...

I would like to hug one of my colleagues in medieval history--Ralph Griffiths or Peter Fleming or Mark Ormrod would be good choices.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Huzzah! You do such fun things here to teach us about Medieval times. I'd love to hug a few of the heroes in your books, or I'd hug my own knight in shining armour--my hubby--if we were able to go to a festival. :)
rachellethewriter AT gmail.com

Evy said...

Huzzah, there are many medievalists I would want to hug but I think my ideal would be Gerald of Wales. A monk who wrote about Wales and Ireland. Other than that it would be Henry V, my husband is a bowyer and studies medieval methods of archery.

Evy B
fehy at hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

HUZZAH! I would love to hug any of the Knights of the Round Table. Maybe King Richard.
mlwalling@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

My first choice is Archie Armstrong, but since he's a bit after medieval times, I'm going with Chaucer. I also think he'd be a great person to have a drink with.

Jessica Schira
naggingdilemma@yahoo.com